Question:
How do people reinvent themselves?
2009-01-10 16:08:01 UTC
I sometimes tell myself, "Reinventing yourself would be cool." But I'm not sure how to do it. Don't most people do it when they move? I dunno. I've been trying to figure out who I am but I think they best way to do it is to reinvent myself. Just a little bit. Can you help me out?
Four answers:
Addicted to Piano
2009-01-10 16:26:46 UTC
1) Decide who you want to be.

2) Start by changing how you look. Dress like who you want to be, wear more/less makeup. Change your shoes also. Change your posture, if necessary. Get a haircut, dye your hair, wear it up or down. Paint your nails, or take off the nail polish. The smallest things can change how you look at yourself. This will help with #3.

3) Act like who you want to be. Treat people differently. Don't tell people you are reinventing yourself. Instead, act like you have always been this way. Though, sometimes close friends can help with this. It will be really hard, but if you keep reminding yourself, it will get easier. Don't quit when you mess up once. Just take a deep breath and remind yourself who you are. If you can, you could also try going by a different name, like your middle name or your nickname.

4) Don't worry about other people being surprised by the new "you". There may be some initial surprise, but if you act like you haven't changed, that you have always been that way, then they most likely won't bother you.

Hope you find out who you are, and hope I helped.
2009-01-10 16:22:30 UTC
It's pretty easy actually. And sometimes if you don't do it yourself, the world will do it for you. Change is constant, right?

Here's one change I've been through for example:

When I was about 11 I simply didn't understand why I was getting C+s and Bs when other kids were getting As. I always thought of myself as a relatively smart guy and it seemed that those around thought so too. I couldn't see what I was missing, so I deliberately went on a campaign to improve my marks. I got a small book called "The A+ Guide to Good Grades", followed the suggestions, and over two years it really worked. I became an honour roll student. I didn't even know what an honour roll was before.

I've seen others reinvent themselves. For example there was a girl in my elementary school who was just this little nerdy shy girl. We went to different high schools. When I saw her around time to graduate high school, after a few years, she was this hot babe. It was weird. The guys were talking about her.

Then there are the famous examples like David Bowie or Madonna. Some musicians pretty much keep the same image, but these two take on new personas every couple years.
worldneverchanges
2009-01-10 16:27:44 UTC
Most of us reinvent ourselves in some sublime way or unconsciously. Hanging out with people, watching movies and shows, etc. we take some of the characters even if it is very minute. This we do without realizing that we are doing it.

To reinvent yourselves in a conscious manner you need to know who you are (your personality traits, your emotions and all such items) and you are trying to become. It takes discipline, control, self-consciousness, courage and time. Let us say that you are an angry person and you want to let go of it. You need to observe what is causing the anger. Once you know the root of it then you can work towards eliminating or controlling it. It takes a lot of control and discipline. There are some emotions that are inbuilt and there is not much you can do about it but you can learn to control.

To reinvent you have to have a plan. A list of emotions or traits that you want to control or change. You have to consciously work at changing them. Keep a diary. Periodically review them. Take one or two items at a time. Work on them till you are satisfied. Reinventing takes time and a lot of it. It also takes patience. It is easy to get frustrated but like anything else you have to stick with it to get the benefit.
Jacob W
2009-01-10 18:11:18 UTC
It is simply a matter of redefining yourself. Imaging your name in some universal dictionary of human people. What would the definition of you be right now? Would it say things like, slacker, dishonest, unreliable, scattered or any other undesirable adjectives? Then begin, one at at time to modify your definition.

If you are always late, make it a priority to be sure you are on time. If you lack direction, select a path and concentrate on learning how to follow it and then follow it.

The secret is simply being honest with yourself about your shortcomings and making a concerted effort to repair them.

*